Just as good as my flu vaccination this week, was the recent pep talk from another Doctor. A little bit painful, but just what I needed.
Dr Jim Collins speaking at the WPO conference in LA emphasised that repeated and continuous improvement leads to greatness. It’s not luck.
Here are 5 prescriptions from the good Doctor:
- Strive for outstanding leadership. Personality is not leadership and leadership only exists when people follow when they have a choice.
- Build an enduring culture. Check in with your core values and see whether they resonate and are relevant.
- Do you have the right people on the bus? First ‘who’ then ‘what’ – the right people are your most important asset. Great companies have the ability to choose the right people to come on board.
- Have the courage to confront the brutal facts. Where are your weaknesses?
- The hedgehog and the fox. Originally a tale told by Isaiah Berlin who divided writers and thinkers into two categories, Dr Collins believes great businesses are like hedgehogs: they view the world through a single lens and don’t get distracted – unlike the foxes who draw on a variety of experiences and who can’t boil down their vision to a single purpose.
What prescription would you add?